Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Dave Smith's Bi-Mart 125 Race Notes

Portland International Raceway is one of the oldest tracks in the country and is one of the few located right in the city.  Although I have run several events in sports cars at Portland, I have never had the opportunity to run NASCAR at the track.  Last week, out of nowhere I received a phone call from a car owner and long time veteran of the sport, Dick Midgley.  


Dick needed a driver for his car when Patrick Long, last year's winner at Portland, was unable to make it to the race due to scheduling conflicts.  Dick called a few NASCAR officials for driver recommendations and they mentioned that they thought I could do a good job in the race.  I was thrilled when the team asked me to drive, what they said, was a competitive race car.  With just a few days before the event, we scrambled to get prepared. Unlike any other series, racing Nascar on a road course is the equivalent of gorilla warfare except with 3400lb 700 horsepower race cars.  


Full Story